Can I call 911 about drivers without lights?

Q: Congratulations on getting another day off every week. Many of us start our day with your column.

Jim Bodwin, Cupertino

A: Thank you. Good news to hear that column reading is how you start your day. Roadshow now runs five days a week, Tuesday through Friday plus Sunday. Nothing else?

A: Then I thought about it: nothing much has changed in the over 30 years since I moved to California. People still drive too fast on the highways. Road rocks always drive too slow on highways. Loop detectors always fail. Potholes are still forming. Gas prices are still rising.

Why not just reprint old Roadshow columns from previous years on Mondays and Saturdays? I doubt anyone notices.

Jim Bodwin

A: Don’t forget the carpool cheaters, cars crossing solid white lines on expressways, red light fraud and litter on our roads – although there is some hope on the latter forehead.

Caltrans is expanding the Clean California Incentive Program statewide, providing up to $250 per month to Adopt-A-Highway volunteers who pick up litter along state highways. The expansion comes after a successful pilot project in the Sacramento and San Diego areas that added 230 new freeway adoptions in just three months.

Caltrans is asking volunteers to submit information following eligible cleanup activities to receive payment. Volunteers provide information on date, location, amount of waste collected, number of volunteers, hours worked and photos. Adopt-A-Highway participants are limited to one payment per month.

Volunteers who are interested in the Adopt-A-Highway program can call 866-ADOPTAHWY (866-236-7824) or visit for more information.

Q: What do we do for night drivers without headlights or with daytime running lights on? Some nights I counted ten cars with just DRLs on.

The drivers are completely oblivious and the signaling does not seem to work. Usually they look at me and keep driving.

I think the CHP needs to do a better job of enforcing the law at night as it is an extreme security risk.

Nick Radonich, Morgan Hill

A: And…

Q: Every once in a while I see a dark colored car driving late at night with no headlights or even daytime running lights on. Obviously, it’s a danger to others on the road. I’m tempted to report it, but I don’t know if I should call 911 or 311. Can you give me any advice?

Deepak Sabnis

A: My suggestion is to call 911, tell the dispatcher it’s a non-emergency call and ask to be transferred to 311, a number you sometimes cannot reach directly by cell phone. You can also flash your headlights to try to show the other driver that they should turn on their headlights.

Look for Gary Richards at or contact him at [email protected]

Comments are closed.