Larmour lights up the RDS as Leinster Stick 12 try on Glasgow to book a place in the URC semi-finals

Leinster 76

Glasgow Warriors 14

FOR ALL OF 14 minutes, Glasgow threatened to make this United Rugby Championship quarter-final interesting.

After a strong start, the visitors led Leinster 7-0, with Zander Fagerson crossing for a try that was only the reward for their early dominance. They couldn’t, could they?

It quickly became clear there would be no upheaval on the cards as Leinster stormed to a 76-14 win that sets up a semi-final clash against the Bulls at RDS next Friday night.

However, in those early stages, it felt a lot like the morning after the day before for a Leinster side who, on this day last week, came agonizingly close to winning a fifth European title.

Glasgow played all the rugby and enjoyed all the territory, camped out inside Leinster 22 in scenes reminiscent of the last 10 minutes at Marseille.

There were just four minutes left on the clock when Fagerson burrowed under Andrew Porter to put Glasgow ahead, an interesting twist at the start of a game that still threatened to be a tricky proposition for Leinster, a crowd just to the north of 9,000 a disappointing turnout for once. – excluding lighting.

The concession of a penalty in the first scrum of the day added to the feeling of early unease as Leinster struggled to settle into the competition.

Then just like that, the game flipped. During a congested stint on the left wing, Glasgow lock Richie Gray sent an elbow crashing into the face of Jamison Gibson-Park. The crowd wanted red, but referee Andrea Piardi opted for yellow.

Leinster would hit Glasgow for three tries as Gray watched from the touchline.

Dan Sheehan was first down the line for the hosts, moving from a powerful driving maul with the first pass after Gray’s exit.

Jamie Bhatti of Glasgow, Caelan Doris of Leinster and Tadhg Furlong of Leinster.

Source: Laszlo Geczo/INPHO

And if this first score was about power, the second was about speed. Jordan Larmour – a man who was perhaps lucky to have missed Marseille last weekend – won the ball back in his own half and sensed the opportunity in a situation few others on the pitch would have imagined .

With a quick flash of those electric feet, he passed three Glasgow defenders and deep into the Warriors’ half. The move nearly fizzled as Larmour tried to play Gibson-Park, but the winger was able to recover the loose ball and ensure his hard work wasn’t wasted.

In all aspects of the game, Leinster were now fully dominant as their scrum started to take over and passes started to stick.

Minutes later, 21-year-old lock Joe McCarthy was on his third, finishing from close range and getting the green rub with a cantilever call as the ball was snatched from his hand by a Glasgow hand. before moving forward. Ross Byrne added his third conversion of the day and Leinster led 21-7 with 25 minutes played, one foot firmly in next weekend’s semi-final.

Gray then returned to action to restore Glasgow to full strength, but the damage was done, and Leinster continued to play with hardworking-looking Warriors.

Larmour brilliantly snatched the ball from Gregor Brown as the Glasgow flanker thought he was finished for his second try of the afternoon before the hosts added their fourth, with Sheehan taking over from a Leinster maul bulldozed. Byrne’s conversion hit the post as Leinster came on at the break 26-7.


Jamie Bhatti of Glasgow, Caelan Doris of Leinster and Tadhg Furlong of Leinster.

Source: Billy Stickland/INPHO

Glasgow needs an answer, but the second half proved hopelessly one-sided for what should have been a competitive playoff.

It took just two minutes for Caelan Doris to kick in Leinster’s fifth try, with the number eight easily beating the last defender after good work from the Leinster pack to create space.

Byrne added the conversion before Leinster saw Tadhg Furlong make an early exit after receiving treatment on the pitch.

His replacement, Michael Ala’alatoa gave his name a try with three minutes left, his head tight stretching after another solid run.

Larmour must have felt a bit left out between all the close contact rugby as the winger then exploded again to set up a quick brace.

First he broke free and linked well with Gibson-Park to send in the clean scrum-half – following good work from Frawley – before bursting down the same right wing to feed Garry Ringrose, Byrne converting Gibson-Park’s score before finding the post again past Ringrose.

Leinster head coach Leo Cullen then emptied his bench as Glasgow finally landed another punch, Kiran McDonald producing a solid carry before finding fellow substitute George Horne, with Thompson converting.


Leinster’s Rory O’Loughlin is tackled by Glasgow’s Jack Dempsey.

Source: Billy Stickland/INPHO

It was a brief spark of life from Glasgow as Leinster came up the other end and dispatched Larmour, the most dangerous player on the pitch finding himself in acres of space and crossing without a problem, Byrne’s conversion sailing very wide as Leinster took a 57-14 lead in the final 15 minutes.

The tries kept coming, with Frawley intercepting a loose pass from Ollie Smith to run under the posts, handing Harry Byrne the easier task for his first conversion of the day.

Within a minute, Luke McGrath was under the posts for the number 11 try following a charming dummy from Harry Byrne, who added the conversion as a terribly one-sided contest turned wacky. With 10 minutes remaining, the scoreboard now showed 71-14 in favor of Leinster, a poor look for a playoff game at this stage of the season.

With the game long beyond doubt, Leinster’s work rate remained exceptional, with Frawley chasing down Jack Dempsey as Glasgow’s backline cleared the halfway line.


Get closer to the stories that matter with exclusive analysis, insight and debate in The42 Membership.

Become a member

When it’s not your day, it’s not your day. In the far corner, the lively Jimmy O’Brien jumped inside to add a 12th try for Leinster.

Leo Cullen wanted an answer, and he got it in some style. Europe may have overtaken Leinster again this season, but the race for a fifth league title in a row remains fully on.

Leinster goalscorers:

Try – Sheehan (2), Larmour (2), McCarty, Sheehan, Ala’alatoa, Gibson-Park, Ringrose, Frawley, McGrath O’Brien.

Penalties – R Byrne [7/9]H. Byrne [2/3]

Conversions – R Byrne [7/9]H. Byrne [2/3]

Glasgow goalscorers:

Try – Fagerson

Conversion–Thompson [1/1]

LEINSTER: Jimmy O’Brien; Jordan Larmour, Garry Ringrose (Robbie Henshaw, 59), Ciarán Frawley, Rory O’Loughlin; Ross Byrne (Harry Byrne 67), Jamison Gibson-Park (Luke McGrath, 59); Andrew Porter (Cian Healy, 59), Dan Sheehan (Seán Cronin, 59), Tadhg Furlong (Michael Ala’alatoa, 44); Joe McCarthy, James Ryan (captain) (Ross Molony, 59); Ryan Baird, Josh van der Flier (Jack Conan, 60), Caelan Doris.

GLASGOW WARRIORS: Ollie Smith; Josh McKay, Sione Tuipulotu, Sam Johnson, Rufus McLean; Ross Thompson (Domingo Miotti, 69), Ali Price (George Horne, 51); Jamie Bhatti (Oli Kebble, 51), George Turner (Fraser Brown, 41), Zander Fagerson (Simon Berghan, 51); Rob Harley (Lewis Bean 55), Richie Gray; Ryan Wilson (captain) (Kiran McDonald 55), Gregor Brown, Jack Dempsey.

Arbitrator: Andrea Piardi (FIR)

Get instant updates on your province on The42 app. With Laya Healthcare, official health and wellbeing partner of Leinster, Munster and Connacht Rugby.

Comments are closed.